Open Office Org

wotbus@ 17:56 01 Dec 2005

Is it any good and apart from the obvious price difference, how does it compare with MS Office?

ade.h 18:35 01 Dec 2005

I've read a number of online comments and reviews that talked about it being very slow; apparently to do with the file format (XML I think). This sort of put me off trying it, so I've stuck with Office 2000, which I know my way around quite well. I tried Ability Office recently though, and that was very good. I chose not to purchase but it's a bargain; the bits that I picked (WP, spreadsheet, database, etc) would cost about £28 I think.

€dstowe 18:36 01 Dec 2005

Try it and see. You can always remove it if you don't like it.

wotbus@ 18:44 01 Dec 2005

Hi and thanks. It's not for me it's for a chum who has just invested in a bare-bones PC [see the 56k modem thread running]. It came with the minimum of s/w and the shop itself suggest the freebee; I just wondered how it ran and of course if it is not liked then the purchased version of Office is the answer - at a price.

Skills 18:53 01 Dec 2005

I havent personally used it but I read a recent review of version 2 and it good a very good write up. It will support MS Office file formats and as has been said its free so you've got nothing to lose by trying it out.

wotbus@ 20:12 01 Dec 2005

Thanks for the feedback and like you say - nothing to lose. Will give it a go as it's better than nothing which is what they have at the moment!
Cheers.

interzone55 21:33 01 Dec 2005

I use it occasionally, I've found it to be easy to use and very stable. I would use it more but it isn't 100% compatible with MS Office 2003, which I use for work & college, certain features do not transfer totally, like inline images and large indexes. Also the database isn't Access compatible at all, which is the feature I use most.

If I didn't use MS Office at all, I definately would use OpenOffice because it has all the features a home user needs, and it's totally free.

If downloading is a problem (which it will be on dial -up) most magazines have the latest release on their disks this month.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?