open office and ms word help.

patso 00:27 09 Oct 2009

I just installed open office and want to know does ms word support open office documents ,ie if i save a file in open office can i open it with ms word,also any other files saved by open office power point oe excel,how do i do this,any help please.

Strawballs 04:05 09 Oct 2009

If you have installed open office 3.1 then yes you can save as a word document in OO but it not default you will have to go to save as to do it.

Eric10 09:15 09 Oct 2009

You can change the default 'Save' type in OpenOffice to .doc for compatibility with MS Word. click here

patso 13:16 09 Oct 2009

thanks i am still a bit confused,if i save documents as .doc,and try to open it again with open office ,will it open oe will it be just a load of coded letters,i got the free ms office trial but it has run out and am just looking for a good alternative,its for my son who is in college,if he saves as .doc and i only have open office on my pc ,how will he be able to open the saved files,sorry for all the questions but i hope you see my point as i am new to this and have only used ms office most oof the time,

patso 13:26 09 Oct 2009

sorry i meant to say if my son saves the files as .doc for college as most colleges use ms word,when he tries to open them again at home will he still be able to open them with open office,if you see what i mean, thanks again

patso 19:41 09 Oct 2009

Thanks again marg7,as i said the trial for ms office is over and wont work at all now so i will give it a go,save some docs with open office to a usb drive and try them out on another pc that has word,either that or save the docs as both open office and word,does this include power point and databases in open office or willms word open these normally as well,thanks again and sorry for all the questions

southhead 20:16 09 Oct 2009

If you are interested in using Open Office Impress (their version of Powerpoint) there is some info here click here
It seems to say that Powerpoint presentations can be opened in Open Office Impress, and Open Office Impress files can be saved to open in Powerpoint.

patso 22:15 09 Oct 2009

thanks southhhead and marg7,just looking for a good alternative to ms office,looked up how much to buy,very expensive,so open office recommended by all i presume,i will use oen office for now,i have version 2.2 is there a newer one or will it auto update? thanks again cheerrs

BT 08:37 10 Oct 2009

..is now on version 3.1.1.
It won't auto update so get the latest version at
click here

Just download and save, then click to install. It will uninstall your old version and install the new version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?