Open Office Format Conversion

sunrunner 08:50 16 Dec 2008

Hi all,

I need to view an OpenOffice .ods file but I dont have open office I use MS Office 2003. Is there anyway I can at least view this file and more importantly be able to edit/amend the information.

Thanks

Belatucadrus 09:37 16 Dec 2008

click here for an OpenDocument viewer. Easiest way to get a workable copy would be to ask the file creator to save you a copy as an Excel .XLS file. Or you could go the whole hog and download OpenOffice click here .

sunrunner 09:49 16 Dec 2008

Great thanks very much! At least I can read it.

The creator doesnt have MS Office so they cant save it as an xml format. I will have to try and recreate in Excel if I can work the formulas out!

Belatucadrus 10:02 16 Dec 2008

"The creator doesnt have MS Office so they cant save it as an xml format."

If they've got OpenOffice, which presumably they have, they can save in a multitude of formats including Excel. What they need to do is open their copy of the file then go File/ Save as and then go to the "Save as type" drop down box at the bottom of the resultant window. This will allow them to select from half a dozen Excel file and template formats.
OpenOffice is really good at handling other file formats, Microsoft as the market leader can't be bothered, indeed Office is so poor at handling other file formats it can't even open files from Microsofts own Works alternative without an additional converter.

sunrunner 10:05 16 Dec 2008

Oh right. Now thats good to know. I will ask the orginator to resave as excel for then.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires