open office as default program ?

pureepaul 19:54 12 Oct 2007

i recently installed open office 2.3 and was wandering if i should make this the default program like it wanted on installation and what exactly would that mean?? the only other programs i have in this direction are word and notepad. thanks for your time and patience.

johndrew 20:19 12 Oct 2007

Making it you default will only case it to be used if you open a document by double clicking on it rather than opening it from within, say, Word.

You will still be able to use whichever program you like to produce your document by opening the program of your choice. Personally I have MS Works (Word, etc.) as my default but also have Open Office installed as it suits my needs. I can open either by clicking on its icon but if I open any document sent it will open in Word.

Noels 20:21 12 Oct 2007

I have a U3 Sandisk 4GB micro with Open Office installed and I feel it has as much if not more than Word to offer. However you have to make up your own mind. Try both and see which suits your needs best. What suits you may not suit me. It does appear to have more facilities but do you need them. Run them side by side for a while and see which you find most happy with.
Regards
Noels

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?