Open Office

loopyloo 19:35 29 May 2009

I am using Open Office for the first time and I have written a letter. The thing I have noticed with the text lettering is that some of the letters are spaced fine and others are what I would call bunched up and it doesn't look right. Is this normal for this program if so is there another free word processing program which doesn't do this.

johnnyrocker 19:55 29 May 2009

what about changing fonts?

johnny

csqwared 20:28 29 May 2009

Format/Character/Position the last option is 'Spacing'. Check that this is set a t 'Default' and you might try unticking (if it's ticked) he 'Pair kerning' tick box. I've used this app for some time now in both Windows and Linux without problem.

cc

loopyloo 22:35 29 May 2009

I've tried changing fonts and it makes no difference. The spacing inbetween letters is not all the same space. Some are squashed and some are spaced out.

BT 07:57 30 May 2009

It seems to be something to do with the font size. If you highlight a section of text and change the font size the effect changes.
I have just been checking, and using Ariel at 12pt you see the effect. Change to 11pt or 13pt and it disappears. It seems to only be an on-screen effect and does not appear on the printout.

Charence 15:16 30 May 2009

Have you made everything 'justified'? If so, it's probably stretching spaces to make it fit. To solve this go to Tools > Language > Hyphenation to span words across lines.

BT 16:15 30 May 2009

Yes but Justifiaction should only stretch the spaces between words not compress the spaces between letters which seems to be whats happening at certain font sizes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?