Open File Security Warning

douglas1973 00:15 12 Dec 2005

Yesterday a friend sent me for the first time an email. In a separate email I provided her with a response to a computer problem she had described to me personally earlier in the day. Shortly after that I received an email which looked like it was from her - it invited me to listen to some music. I stupidly clicked the link which did not seem to work. Now every time I start my computer I get an Open File Security Warning:
"The publisher could not be verified.
wcupshell.exe. Are you sure you want to run this this software? Type: Application. From: C:\Windows\System 32".
I have located this application and scanned it for viruses with Norton Antivirus. None were found. I am still suspicious and have asked her if the email was from her. I have not yet received a reply. Can I delete this application without causing any problems?

Download Adaware and retrieve the latest web updates. Run a full system scan. Norton quite often misses stuff like that.

douglas1973 10:18 12 Dec 2005

My friend has just replied saying that she did NOT send the email and that it is a virus! She is infected by an email sent from friends of hers. Thanks [email protected], I will do as you suggest. I presume that after that it is best to delete the wcupshell.exe file? (if it is not deleted by Adaware and Norton).

gudgulf 10:39 12 Dec 2005

That message will appear in Windows XP SP2 when an unsigned .vbs file tries to run.

Viruses and other malware often comes via email as a .vbs script.

It looks like by clicking on the "music" file the malware has been loaded onto your pc but has not been able run (unless you allowed it to!) because the security built into Windows has done it's job.

Delete the file and run something like Trend's online scanner for a second opinion that your pc is clear along side Norton click here

douglas1973 17:38 13 Dec 2005

Thanks gudgulf. I have deleted the file and run Norton Antivirus,Trend Antivirus and Ad-aware - none of the applications found anything. Curiously Microsoft AntiSpyware found Katien.n, a backdoor Trojan (?) when it ran automatically at 1 pm yesterday. It is the first time Microsoft AntiSpyware has foind anything on my computer. Whether this was related to my recent actions I do not know but it no longer matters.
My computer is running well so I presume that I am now OK and so will close this subject. Thanks gudgulf and [email protected] for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?