Open DNS ?

Pepper9 18:47 09 Dec 2008

What are the advantages or disadvantages of using Open DNS instead of getting the one automatically from your ISP (in this case O2) please?

recap 19:10 09 Dec 2008

The following can be seen in full if you click here

In the Autumn of 2008, a number of users who were disturbed by the covert redirection behaviour of OpenDNS announced their intentions to cease using the service. Example comments taken from the OpenDNS users' forum:
I also removed OpenDNS from all of my networks/servers/computers after the shocking revelation that they were hijacking Google traffic against my knowledge. I discovered this after spending an hour or so troubleshooting very slow Google performance. Once I identified that OpenDNS was hijacking Google traffic, I reverted to ISP DNS, and voila - Google became fast again. I agree that this is an ethical issue, too, since it was not disclosed clearly, and so many of us didn't realize OpenDNS would be hijacking our Google searches if we used them for DNS.

That is funny. I used OpenDNS for one day thinking it was going to be so beneficial. Right away, I saw the Google Hijacking, and noticed how slow all DNS queries were, basically slowing my entire experience down quite a bit. I turned off OpenDNS, and now everything is back to normal.

Pepper9 10:01 10 Dec 2008

Many thanks for this - you have certainly made my mind up for me and saved me from what looks like some serious problems. Thank you again for your detailed reply. Much appreciated.
Phil

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?