Op System incompatible with start up Repair

MD__ 18:40 20 Mar 2010

Hi

I have a 6 month old MESH desk top with Windows 7 and have had no issues to date and i have billguard

This evening i cant boot up, it goes straight to Windows RE, Start Up repair which cant solve the problem.

From the test the root cause found: The operating system is incompatible with start up repair.

Cant get into sfae made on start up either. any ides would be appreciated, thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:04 20 Mar 2010

A computer running Windows Vista/7 can automatically fail over into the on-disk Windows RE only if a boot failure is detected. At startup, the Windows loader sets a status flag to indicate that the boot process has started, and this flag is typically cleared before the Windows logon screen is displayed. If the boot attempt fails, the flag is not cleared. The next time the computer starts, the loader detects the flag and assumes that a boot failure occurred. When this happens, the loader launches Windows RE instead of Windows Vista/7

Because the failover mechanism relies on the Windows boot manager and Windows boot loader, some failures will render Windows RE inaccessible. In the following scenarios, the user must use bootable Windows RE media to recover the computer:

* Disk metadata corruption in the master boot record (MBR), partition table, or boot sector of Windows RE partition.
* Missing or corrupt boot manager.
* Missing or corrupt boot configuration data.

Sometimes the boot status flag cannot be read or written to by the boot loader, in which case Windows will not automatically fail over into Windows RE. However, the user can still manually launch into the on-disk Windows RE through the F8 menu.

MD__ 19:17 20 Mar 2010

If i tap F8 i only get to start from the hard drive or the CD Rom. If i pick the former i go back to the start up repair. If i pick the latter then i have a Windows disc from Mesh, do i need to re instal windows using that disc ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:25 20 Mar 2010

Yes its looking that way,

It will set it back to the day you opened it.
Is there anything on the drive you really need but haven't backed up?

If so you may need to attach the drive to another PC to try and extract the data, but if you have Disk metadata corruption in the master boot record (MBR), partition table that data is probably unrecoverable except by a costly data retrieval firm.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:28 20 Mar 2010

Might be worth just removing and refitting the drive to remake the connections.

Saved my niece's uni stuff that way last week when she thought it was gone as windows would not boot.
Taught her the valuable lesson of "backup all work as soon as you have done it".

MAJ 19:33 20 Mar 2010

If you have important files on the hard drive that you need to recover, I would download Ubuntu click here and burn it as an image file to CD, using ImgBurn click here That will create a bootable Linux CD. Boot the PC with the CD in the CD drive, making sure to set the BIOS to boot from the CD Drive. That will bring you to the Ubuntu interface where you can then navigate to your hard drive and drag and drop your important files to a USB Pen Drive. If need be, you can then do a factory restore on your hard drive.

Strawballs 23:04 20 Mar 2010

I had a problem with a corupt sector on the hard drive once and I managed to retrieve the data from the drive booting from a live disc of Linux Ubuntu and using that to move to USB stick

Zeppelyn 23:17 20 Mar 2010

I dont think this situation is as drastic as reinstalling the OS, basically its a repair of the bootsector and mbr which can be achieved. If you dont have a Win 7 disc then download a startup repair disk. click here
Select 32 or 64 bit whichever is appropriate.

Then follows these instructions from Microsoft to repair the bootsector.
click here

Its quite straight forward but if you hit a problem then come back.

MD__ 12:03 21 Mar 2010

thanks all for comments.

I have the Trojan.FakeAlert.5 virus which is casuing the problem. Does this change any of the above advice ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:23 21 Mar 2010
  MD__ 12:40 21 Mar 2010

i have bullguard which is linked to Bit Defender and the error is their fault !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?