OP System Depends on Specs?

scuba steve 05:42 22 Aug 2006

Hello,

I Wanted to know if, Depending on your computers Specs, You have to have a Certain Operating system. What Im Asking is if this is True?

I Understand Anything Under Windows 2000 Would need the minimum Specs to run but will use XP Anyway.

I Have a PC Which is Currently be Built and is on the way shortly and i need to get the OP Seprately but i dont know which one to go for and even what one i need for my system.

Just for Note, My PC Specs are :

Pentium D 945 3.4ghz
2Gb RAM
250GB HDD
Nvidia 7600GT Video Card

So, what OP do i need?

Windows XP Home or Professional
Windows Media Center 2005?

Any help will be gratefully appreciated!

Regards,
steve

AndySD 07:25 22 Aug 2006

Unless you are on a buisness network you wont need Windows XP Pro.

Therefore the choice is XP Home or Media Center, since you may want to upgrade to Vista next year I would suggest you get XP Home.

exodus 11:44 22 Aug 2006

Just get a modern operating system that suits your needs and not that of your computer specs. Win2K and XP Pro are orientated towards business use and have extra data security and networks which the average home user does not need.

Having said that, 64 bit cpu's will benefit from a 64 bit operating system such as Windows Vista when it arrives.

Very few applications take advantage of 64 bit operating systems at the moment but this will change in time as Vista gets established.

At the moment, I would also go with XP for you.

ArrGee 12:38 22 Aug 2006

Media Centre (MCE)is essentially XP Pro with the MCE bits added in. However, what what I understand, you cannot purchase MCE (click here).

ArrGee 12:39 22 Aug 2006

Please excuse the poor grammar, had a few too many coffees this morning!

scuba steve 16:52 22 Aug 2006

Great, I'll go with XP Home Til Vista Arrives.
Thankyou all to have helped!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?