Ooops! What have I done? Lost everything!

southpaw 23:09 23 Apr 2005

Hi

I was just doing a routine clean up and I seem to have lost almost everything!!

And I don't have a backup.

I was just removing game demos and free program demos that I no longer use and after that I used CrapCleaner. I have now lost all my files, photos and music. Its almost like I've restored it. The only thing that seems to have stayed is odd folders (with nothing now in them) on the desktop. I have XP and have two users. The logos have now both changed to the chess pieces and the wallpaper on one has gone while the other has stayed.

I think that I have deleted some audio program which may have had something to do with this as windows tried to search for an audio hardware but I really don't know what I've done.

I know, I know I am stupid but can anyone help? Or have I lost it all?

Oh and backup was something I was always meaning to do tomorrow!! Guess I have learnt the hard way.

I did have a look in Accesories>System Tools to do a system restore but this is blank.

DieSse 23:21 23 Apr 2005

You could try a system restore by going to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore and running rstrui.exe if it's there. It may run OK, just not show up in the menu system.

Number 7 23:32 23 Apr 2005

If I were you I'd try this:

Reboot the computer, and while it's booting, keep tapping the F8 key.

When you see a menu on the screen, select "Last Known Good Configuration" and let the boot-up continue.

If you haven't rebooted since deleting the programs, you should be back to where you were.

Kev.Ifty 23:35 23 Apr 2005

click here

click here

click here

Try one of these..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?