Is ONSPEED as good as it says?

pcbobby 12:17 01 Apr 2006

Do members know if ONSPEED really increases the dialup speed 10X ?

VoG II 12:19 01 Apr 2006
  pcbobby 12:25 01 Apr 2006

Thank you VoG.

I currently use Tiscali Accelerator, which appears to be ONSPEED with a different name

dms05 12:48 01 Apr 2006

I've used OnSpeed for web browsing. The slower your connection the better the result. I mainly use it when I'm connected to the Internet by Mobile Phone (GSM 9,600 bps) which unaided is simply impossible. With OnSpeed it turns the connection into a normal 56kbps dial up speed. Usable and saves lots on phone costs.

I've also tried it on my ADSL line and it can slow the connection down if the OnSpeed servers are busy.

I does however work differently to any software solution loaded on your PC. The OnSpeed Proxy strips out the blank bits of a web page and transmits the infomation bits only. So it can be very effective, especially if you select the slightly reduced graphic quality.

Good if used where it can show benefits,

Stuartli 13:50 01 Apr 2006

>>Tiscali Accelerator>>

That's because it is - however you can do the basics of ONSpeed yourself manually by editing the registry (Internet Explorer) or, if you use Firefox, by downloading FineTune Firefox (free) from:

click here (near the bottom of the page)

Registry tweak:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?