Only one way traffic on network

kinger 15:08 27 Nov 2004

After installing a new SpeedTouch 580 I am wirelessly connecting to the Internet successfully using both my Desktop PC and a Notebook PC.

However, when networked together, the Desktop PC can read and write files over the network to the Notebook PC but Not vice versa.

I need to be able to work on the Notebook PC reading and writing to the Desktop PC.

I get a message asking 'Check your permission to access this network' or similar. How do I give the Notebook PC permission to access the Desktop PC?

I'm using Win XP (SP2).

Just for the record, my old wireless router gave the same problem only the other way around ... My Laptop PC could read and write to the Desktop PC but not vice versa. I imagine it's a setting somewhere along the line, can anyone help?

Strawballs 15:13 27 Nov 2004

Have you got file and printer shareing enabled on the desk top.

kinger 15:21 27 Nov 2004

Yes, I've made sure the little 'hand' is under the folders I'd like to share. Some printer icons have got this too.

kinger 15:36 27 Nov 2004

Looking at 'show computers on network' I can see the Desktop PC but when I click on it, it shows no properties, whereas a list of availble shared folders comes up when I select 'Laptop'.

Any ideas anyone?

kinger 16:00 27 Nov 2004

I just switched off all firewalls which doesn't stop the problem. Will keep trying, though.

kinger 16:37 27 Nov 2004

More 'clues' .. When on the Laptop PC I click 'Add printer from a network' and the system searches.

It finds 'Microsoft Windows network' logo and tells me that I need to select one of the printers listed. But, of course, there are none listed.

kinger 22:29 28 Nov 2004

When adding a printer I found I was able to select one from a list.

Although I can't yet print using this system (will work on that one tomorrow) I can now see the Desktop from the Laptop PC.

Thanks for the advice guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?