Only a major panic!!

Housten 17:13 04 Mar 2011

Hi all,

Please help!!! I don't know what I have done wrong but obviously it is something serious. I have installed the Tuneup from the latest mag on my desktop and I have been trying to install it on my wife's laptop. It didn't seem to install/work properly so I decided to uninstall it, but when I did so the taskbar and all the stuff at the bottom of the screen has disappeared including the 'Start' button and all the other icons, so I am not sure I can even do a system restore!! Before the wife tries to kill me can someone please tell me how to get back all the icons - including ( I have just suddenly realised ) the ones that are on the screen!!!

Any help/information will be very gratefully received!

woodchip 17:18 04 Mar 2011

Start PC tapping F5 as it starts, this should get you into Safe Mode from there you can do a restore

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:36 04 Mar 2011

Press Ctrl Alt Del
In task manager - File - New Task - type explorer - press OK

This should restore all your Icons
then do a system restore to before you install tuneup

Housten 17:51 04 Mar 2011

woodchip,

Many thanks!! I managed to find, eventually, system rstore and it workrd stright off. I am now doing a 'windows update' - 120.8MB!!!!! - so it will be unusable for a little while, but it is usable otherwise. Once again many, many thanks!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\,
I tried Ctrl Alt Del and there was nothing there, but what I didn't realise was that I had to type something in - and I wouldn't have known what to type in. However I will make a note of your suggestion and keep it handy in case I do whatever I did again!!! Many thanks.

I have marked issue as 'Resolved'.

woodchip 18:02 04 Mar 2011

Glad to help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?