only bios on startup

talyho 16:18 22 Jul 2006

I us windows xp, when I start up only the bios comes on the screen and nothing else, I have checked for bugs with norton & avg but nothing found.Is there anything that I can do in the bios to rectify this I HAVE NEVER USED THE BIOS BEFORE any help please

Diodorus Siculus 16:33 22 Jul 2006

How have you checked with Norton / AVG if you only get the BIOS on the screen?

Can you get into windows?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:39 22 Jul 2006

At what point does your PC stop?

What exactly does it say on the screen? when it will not go anyfurther without pressing any keys?

1st make sure there is not a CD in the drive or a floppy disk or usb flsh stick pluged in when you boot up.

talyho 16:40 22 Jul 2006

I tried just before this hapend and it did not find anything

FreeCell 16:58 22 Jul 2006

Stupid question, but you haven't got the 'Delete' key stuck down. Pressing delete on start-up will bring up the BIOS screen.

Diemmess 17:04 22 Jul 2006

Your computer is not finding the HD, though that may be because of a partially dislodged connection.

Have a look in the BIOS and make sure the HD is recognised.

If you have opened the case recently it could be that something has been disturbed.

Before panic develops, switch off and open the case and unplug and replug the data ribbon from the motherboard to the hard disk. Do this for each end, one at a time.

Also make sure the RAM is properly seated.
Put the case back again and switch on with fingers crossed!

johndrew 17:13 22 Jul 2006

Generally the BIOS screen will indicate the drives it finds and whether it can find the boot drive.

Often the failure to find the boot drive is at the bottom of the screen the startup stalls at.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?