Online Traning Course

phildux 09:55 27 Jan 2006

Hello looking for a really good online training course for web site building / design starting at the beginning has anybody any recommendations
Cheers
Phil

phildux 13:53 27 Jan 2006

i want to be able to build web sites from scratch and to be able to link these to web driven databases. but first i must learn how to put web sites together i guess. from starting to build right through to contacting a hosting service and getting it up and running. hope this makes sense

PurplePenny 14:29 27 Jan 2006

W3Schools: click here

You don't have to learn completely from scratch unless you really want to. You could use a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor such as Frontpage, Dreamweaver, NetObjects Fusion, Serif WebPlus or Nvu.

To get up and running use a WYSIWYG and you can learn the HTML as you go along.

What sort of site do you want to put up? If it is just a personal site then you probably already have free web space from your ISP. That may also come with a sitebuilder (but the only one I've tried was really only good for putting up the simplest of sites).

phildux 17:33 27 Jan 2006

its a multi page site for a transport company who want a log in page for there customer to be able to view and print there pod's (proof of delivery)once they have been scanned in. it needs to be secure as they don't want one customer to be able to access another customers pod's

PurplePenny 18:39 27 Jan 2006

Whoa! That's a bit much to expect of a total beginner.

Since there are security implications I would suggest getting a professional to do it.

slightlymad 19:38 27 Jan 2006

...Then I can't recommend this course highly enough: click here. It's a six week course, and pretty intensive, but it will give you a good understanding of XHTML and CSS - something that I think is invaluable no matter what software you eventually decide on.

The course is currently in progress, so you'd need to wait until the next one begins, on 11th March. You could join their mailing list if you're interested, so that you're notified about the registration date.

The W3C schools site is a wonderful resource, but committing myself to this course ensured that I knuckled down - and at the end of the six weeks I had a 6-page basic site up and running, all done using Notepad alone. The instructor is passionate about web standards and accessibility issues, and is always on hand via the 'class forum' if you have any questions. I loved it, but be warned - she packs a lot into the six weeks, and you'll have very little free time! You download the lesson, practice it, then upload your 'assignment' for appraisal at the end of each week. It's helpful looking at your 'classmates' assignments, too. Great fun.

Marie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?