Online suppliers T & Cs

johndrew 14:34 10 Jan 2011

I recently placed two orders on substantially different dates with an online supplier whose Delivery Pricing and Guarantee forms part of their Terms & Conditions and clearly states:

"Parcels are despatched to you by Royal Mail. Please note that a signature will be required for all items sent. We are not responsible for errors made by Royal Mail. We are not responsible for any lost packages which are incorrectly addressed due to customer error."

The supplier has been used in the past and has proved reliable. However in this case although both orders are been confirmed as despatched the first order has not been received and the second required no signature on receipt. Given past experience where all deliveries required a signature I find this odd.

I have notified the supplier of the non-receipt as required within the T&Cs but have received no acknowledgement.

Is there any specific body, legislation or action which such suppliers must adhere to and customers can use to obtain redress in the event of such a loss or is it one of the many grey (caveat emptor?) areas which exist with online buying?

Any advice would be appreciated.

northumbria61 20:28 10 Jan 2011

You could have a look here under the heading "Distance Selling Regulations" - I am not sure if it will answer you query click here

northumbria61 20:29 10 Jan 2011

Might be something here click here

woodchip 20:32 10 Jan 2011

If you bought by Credit Card you should be able to get your money back

muergo2 21:39 10 Jan 2011

The sellers can print whatever they like in their Terms etc but they can't get around the laws such as Sales of Goods Act or Distance Selling Regs.

Nothing they put in their literature etc can take away your rights.

Either join Consumers Association or get free advice from Which? magazine website.

E-Bay has a whole chunk of information on your rights which apply universally not only to their site.

In the last resort tell them you are going to the Small Claims Court, that usually does the trick and if you do need to go that far it will only cost you £35 to start a case, but they usually give in way before then.

You can also try the Trading Standards office in the area of their head office

johndrew 10:22 11 Jan 2011

Many thanks to all for coming back with good advice. I especially appreciate the the advice from muergo2.

I did send a further e-mail to the vendor after I posted and it would appear that something I said stirred them up as a response was received very quickly.

They are now taking the non-delivery seriously and have provided the tracking number as a level of proof that despatch was made. They claim it is probably delayed by the volume of post in the system.

I'll leave this open for a day or two (or until the package arrives if earlier) and update as applicable. In the meanwhile your links and pointers have provided quite a bit of reading for me to do.

Thanks again.

johndrew 15:56 11 Jan 2011

Shock 14:30 hours.

Royal Mail van arrives and Postman rushes to the door. Profuse apologies, as "this should have been delivered days ago". No explanation as to reason for the delay, but package has now arrived - dented but contents undamaged.

Methinks someone at the vendor asked a hard question or sorting office screwed up!!

Many thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?