Online security query.

Bald Eagle 09:10 15 Jan 2009

I am with an online bank and the logging on procedure was to enter my customer number, password and secret security question all on one page. For months I've been bombarded with "security is being enhanced" messages whenever I enter the main page.

It has now happened, but all it is is that now each reply from me is done on a new page. ie 3 pages instead of 1. Just out of curiosity, how does this increase security?

BE

Jim_F 10:45 15 Jan 2009

I'm guessing its a way of making sure that the three items are sent in seperate transactions with a random delay between them, dictated by your speed of typing.

There is also an advantage of physical security in that all the data can never exist on one browser screen.

I'm presuming your bank uses end-to-end encryption (https) so its fairly secure anyway but its never a bad idea to assume that any security mechanism can be compromised.

birdface 12:21 15 Jan 2009

My bank is the same 3 different pages to log on.But as long as it is secure I have no problems with it.It also warns you of Phishing scams and to be wary of them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?