Online File storage - Free

Guady 09:59 24 May 2009

Can anyone recommend a free file storage site - which is free? Having a few problems with my PC and think it would be sensible to back up important files etc to somewhere else! Any advice appreciated.

Halmer 10:08 24 May 2009

click here but it depends how much you need I suppose.

Halmer 10:20 24 May 2009

and leave it plugged in to the back of my PC and use that to back up any important stuff.

littlestan 11:09 24 May 2009

hi Halmer,

Does this actually save ALL emails but still allows you to log in as normal to your email provider. for example, I use hotmail. I have emails within hotmail in folders that I would not want to lose but although i have an external hard drive to save my pic/itunes I cannot seem to save my email folders. I have watched their demo video but still not sure what they are providing and do they then replace your original email provider - ie in my case, hotmail? How do you use them etc. I have not got huge amounts of stuff to save, just irreplacable bits and pieces.

Sorry to sound dim, but i would dearly love to protect my emails in hotmail in some way and have thought of an outside provider but am not clear how it all works.

thank you lots LS

Halmer 11:14 24 May 2009

to view all e-mail accounts that you have got set up.

It doesn't affect your current provide at all other than being able to view mail accounts that you have. My provide is Pipex.

For example, via GMX, I look at my: -

1. Hotmail account
2. Pipex account
3. and my GMX account that I have set up with them

You can chose to leave the emails on the original server when you view it through GMX.

You can also save copies of e-mails with attachments or upload files from your PC.

It's simple. Just set up a GMX account first and have a go. It takes minutes.

littlestan 11:44 24 May 2009

Halmer thank you.

Just another question or two !

does it use much memory as i have a very bog standard vista lappy and can't afford to use up precious mem.

Secondly - when you want to send an email (or check them) at the moment I just go to the msn page and click the hotmail icon, enter password etc. Would I still do this or if you join GMX would there be another method of accessing hotmail, sending and looking at your emails.

thanks for your patience!

LS

littlestan 11:45 24 May 2009

PS Halmer - does GMX then store all those emails past and present so if my system goes phut, i can retrieve them or at least still see them!

thanks again

rsignals 13:43 24 May 2009

Windows Live Sky Drive = 25GB - free!

littlestan 14:28 24 May 2009

thanks rsignals - can it save all hotmail emails - and is it easy to do?

thank u

Guady 17:46 24 May 2009

Thanks for the suggestions - much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?