ongoing connection network problems

athenrye 13:30 04 Apr 2008

click here

i had some network issues last week, see previous thread please if you have time!

i have a virgin media broadband modem and a netgear router, i have my xp machine and my sons on it with his xbox 360 and now a wii all connected to the router wired connections no wireless

last week my conction was fine and my sons went down, then his xbox went down as well
today when its all switched on my ones fine the xbox and the wii are fine also, but his isnt working...

the connection on his network was linited or no connection, it would auto detect i put them in manual and it didnt make any difference, bytes sent but none received

today its auto detecting and its sending bytes and receiving them as well, which looks great
but when i open up IE7 the google home page dosnt load the programme just hangs, when i open Outlook express it says receiving 1 of 14 messages but then times out after a minute or two

so how camoe three devices are fine the fourth looks okay but cant finish the task?

any easy or simple solutions remedies for this one?

cheers for all the help
will

athenrye 13:55 04 Apr 2008

hi guys, thought i was gettinjg somewhere there, i rebooted his machine and now im back to the limited or no connection message in his network connections, so its not got any ip adress etc and no connection

so is it his ethernet card which is not working, looks okay in network devices

it surley cant be the modem or the router as the three other devices are working! or can it be them?

will

Ditch999 16:26 04 Apr 2008

Yes it can be the router. My old Linksys did this to me. Port 1 and 2 didnt work but port 3 and 4 did, but they gave up soon after. Try changing the network leads around at the back of the router.

athenrye 16:52 09 Apr 2008

got it fixed guys
i put another ethernet card in his machine
worked straight away, the ethernet connection on the motherboard seems to have been the problem connecting

any ideas if its burned out or maybe a virus blocking it or something?

or am i looking at issues with the motherboard if thats the first thing gone?

cheers
will

athenrye 16:54 09 Apr 2008

this query was a two part ongoing issue
this is the first part if it helps anybody else!
cheers
will

click here

Ditch999 17:38 09 Apr 2008

maybe it was disabled in device manager or in Network Connections like a client of mines! His son-in-law thought he would "sort out" his PC and disabled the network adaptor in Network connections! ROFL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?