One-way recognition

PRS 17:29 17 Apr 2005

I am a complete newcomer to networking!
I have a BT Voyager 2100 ADSL Modem/router connected by cable to my desktop and by wireless to my laptop. Both computers connect to internet without a problem.
I can find the laptop from my desktop but am not allowed to find my desktop from my laptop. I use ZoneAlarm and have altered the "trusted sites" - but I have clearly omitted to carry out some simple task that you clever people will be able to point out!
Many thanks.

Forum Editor 20:07 17 Apr 2005

you ran the networking wizard on both machines, have ensured that they both have the same workgroup name (but different computer names), and have enabled sharing on those files and/or folders which you want to be available on the desktop machine?

PRS 09:02 18 Apr 2005

Yes - I did all those (more than once!) I am running XP Home SP2 on both machines.

PRS 09:27 20 Apr 2005

I have now linked my laptop to router with ethernet cable; still unable to recognise desktop (no permission for access) but still OK the other way round (desktop can access laptop). I have tried all combinations of Windows Firewall and ZoneAlarm - including turning them all off.
Puzzled!

PRS 12:06 21 Apr 2005

SOLVED - thanks to a tip from another website:
click here
Downloaded the "Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools" and typed in:
net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

Now working well as far as I can see.
I hope this might help others in a similar position

sehwhwh 05:56 23 Apr 2005

i have a similar problem as yours...but can you explain what to do after downloading that tool...i dont understand

sehwhwh 06:26 23 Apr 2005

edit: the last command, ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest fails. what should i do?

PRS 09:57 23 Apr 2005

Ah! - now you are asking difficult questions! I seem to remember I had to fiddle with firewall settings - but if I come across a more helpful solution I will post again.
(Sorry, I am a newcomer to this fraught business of networking!)

PRS 10:01 23 Apr 2005

This is the complete text of the posting in the link given above (thanks to the author):

If you have win xp home edition, this is the only way to get over the problem as the local settings & sedurity policy are not available in Administration Tools.
As far as I know, user rights policies applies to WinXP Home as well, you just don't have a builtin GUI tool to see/change them.

You should be able to set/remove those privileges with the Windows 2003 resource kit command line tool ntrights.exe.

Ntrights.exe is in the free Win2k3 resource kit:

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
click here
or
click here
The kit will install on WinXP or later.

After installation, click on: Start, All Programs, Windows Resource Kit Tools, Command Shell

Then enter the following commands. (Attention: they are case sensitive.)

net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

The first command enables network access for Guest, the two subsequent ones change two different policies to allow network access for Guest.

This has been confirmed to work by several users.

sehwhwh 10:45 24 Apr 2005

yeah thanks for helping. but do i have to do this on both computers?

i did it again on the main computer and it works now but the problem is still there.

PRS 15:35 25 Apr 2005

I only had to do it on the main computer. I got a second (ethernet linked) desktop to respond by adding Netbeui protocol (via Control Panel>Network Connections (select LAN)>properties>general>install(select protocol)and add Netbeui.
After much experimentation I now have both desktops (wired) and my wireless laptop talking to each other AND printing on each other's printers. I never thought I would see the day that was possible!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?