One way file sharing

worsley 07:23 30 Apr 2009

I have reinstalled XP Home on both my laptop and pc.

I have established a wireless network and can access the internet on both, ping both ways and see all shared files both ways

My problem is, the pc can access the files on the laptop but the laptop cannot access the files (which it can see) on the pc.

I have read hundreds of posts without success.

One thing I have noticed, I opened PC Start>Run and put in the Laptop IP address and saw the shared files but the Laptop cannot find the pc. which is weird as it can ping it.

PLEASE HELP, ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY

worsley 07:49 30 Apr 2009

things get even more strange as I can set up a folder on my pc as a mapped network drive on my laptop. I can see all the folders and all the files but cannot access them??????

mgmcc 13:28 30 Apr 2009

Has any firewall software been configured correctly to allow access to the networked computers.

Also, if you are comfortable with accessing/editing the registry, check this out:

Navigate to...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

...look for a DWORD "restrictanonymous" and see what the value is. If it is anything other than 0 (zero), right click the DWORD, select MODIFY and change the decimal value to 0 (zero).

A word of warning, there is a DWORD "restictanonymoussam" just below the one you want - DO NOT change this.

Close regedit and reboot the computer.

worsley 20:11 30 Apr 2009

thanks, but both computers already had 0.

I tried accessing the files again and I can access smaller files like photo, but I can't access music or movie files, but I have put shared access on the entire drive!

ANy further advice would be great.

Thanks in advance

worsley 20:16 30 Apr 2009

It is now only the movies folder that I get the message access is denied. Music plays fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017