One router two pcs one wired one wireless

Carafaraday 15:02 29 May 2008

I am currently connected via BT Voyager 210 adsl - a wired usb connection which now works fine after several weeks of trouble.
I occasionally connect another pc via an ethernet cable which again works fine.
I am about to buy a laptop and would like to retain the existing wired connection but to be able to somehow link wirelessly from it to the new laptop. Is this possible?

interzone55 15:45 29 May 2008

The best way of doing this is to get an ADSL router.

I just bought a Billion 5200G from More Computers
click here

This is quite simple to setup, you give it your ADSL settings and set up a wireless network following the instructions on the disk.

You can then plug your current PCs in to the ethernet ports, and use the wireless connection for the laptop.

Carafaraday 15:54 29 May 2008

Thank you for your reply. I am keen to try and retain the existing router if that's possible rather than replace it with a new one. I had a lot of trouble getting the connection to work and don't really want to change it.

Strawballs 22:26 29 May 2008

You could get a wireless access point to plug into your router click here but that is going to cost as much as a wireless ADSL router click here

Carafaraday 08:33 30 May 2008

Strawballs, thanks that's just what I was looking for. I realise that it's maybe not a clever idea to buy an access point rather than a new wireless adsl router but am nervous about changing from a router that works (mostly) to a new one. I don't suppose anyone has tried using one of these wireless access points, have they?

2neat 12:33 30 May 2008

I would ask BT to send you a wireless router FOC.
If they say oh sorry don't think we can do that ask for a MAC code. They will soon send you a new router. I am with Sky and pay £5 per month for BB.
The router was plug and play. They don't take much setting up & you could always plug in your usb device if you needed to.

Carafaraday 12:37 30 May 2008

2neat - thank you for that idea. I am not with BT but with Madasafish but the same probably applies to them.
The thing is really that I don't want a wireless router as the wired one is working just fine with my pc. I do, however, want to be able to use this wired router wirelessly with my new laptop and for that I believe a wireless access point might be the answer. I would be very grateful if anyone can help further with this.

Carafaraday 11:23 10 Jul 2008

In case anyone is interested, I bit the bullet and got new router (free from Madasafish). PC is ethernet connected and laptop wireless and all works fine.

Strawballs 22:07 10 Jul 2008

Not too scarey was it !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017