one router, 2 pcs, sometimes only 1 internet

docjohn 14:30 24 Apr 2009

I have two PCs connected to a Netscape router. Even though both lights at the bottom of the router are showing green, sometimes one PC (always the same one) will take forever to connect to the internet or will lose the internet connection after I've been on.(I get "firefox can't establish a connection to the server at en-uk.start.mozilla.com" when I try to re-connect via the desktop icon). If I use the other PC, it's instantaneous connection! To solve the problem, I have to turn off and switch on the PC again. I use Zone Alarm on each PC but since there's NORMALLY no problem, it's probably not a firewall problem. So what is happening?

ambra4 16:20 24 Apr 2009

Check that the following setting is correct on both computers Lan card

Right click on Local Area Connection Display Icon on the task bar

Click Status-General-Properties

At the top of display the type of Lan card will be displayed

Click Configure-Click-Advanced Tab

Click- “Flow Control” - Change to “Hardware Default (Auto)”

Click – “Connection Type” – Change to “Auto-Negotiation”

Click - Power Management Tab

Untick if selected "Allow Computer to turn this device off to save power”

Network Connection Setting

Click-Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard

Select-Connect to the Internet-Next

Select-Set Up My Connection Manually-Next

Select-Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

Next-Finish

Check that the following Router Set-up is correct

Authentication: Auto

Keep Alive: On

User Idle Timeout: 4320

NAT: On

QoS: On

docjohn 17:12 24 Apr 2009

Thanks for the tips. However I had to use the Network Center to access the things you mentioned.

My Flow Control doesn't have what you said so I changed it from "disabled" to "Rx&Tx enabled", whatever that means. I don't have a connection type but I unclicked the Power Management box.

I tried the Network Connection Setting but it said I'm already connected, do I want to proceed. Do I?

How do I find the router set-up? It's not under device manager or internet options (in Control Panel) and under the Network Center, all I get when I right click on the icon-properties are three web addresses, serial number, MAC address, identifier, IP address.

Thanks for your interest!

ambra4 18:52 24 Apr 2009

“I have two PCs connected to a Netscape router”

I take it that you mean a “Netgear Router” as have never heard about a Netscape Router

My Flow Control doesn't have what you said so I changed it from "disabled" to "Rx&Tx

enabled", which is OK

“How do I find the router set-up?”

You need to access the router via your browser check the manual for the access code

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites.

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?