One e-mail sent. Received up to 17 times.

Noels 14:32 13 Nov 2008

I belong to a group of up to 10 old friends and colleagues who circulate funnies and interesting items among ourselves. Just lately several have complained that they have received from me up to 17 copies of a single e-mail. I believe this has happened when I have forwarded an e-mail with a picture embedded in it rather than as an attachment.I have AVG pro which scans both incoming and outgoing mail with XP home.It must be annoying to receive so many duplicate mails.Has anyone any ideas how to stop this happening.
I must add that when they receive the e-mails the embedded pictures are missing which may be a clue to the problem
Regards
Noels

BurrWalnut 15:08 13 Nov 2008

The way you talk about the problem makes it sound as though you’re using Outlook Express?

If so, it is usually caused by corruption to your Outbox and possibly, also, your Sent Items. Try these:

1. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to your store folder which, if you haven't moved it, is a hidden folder located at C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express and delete Outbox.dbx. You may have to show 'hidden' files in Folder Options > View Tab to see it. Open Outlook Express and a new, empty Outbox will be created by Windows.

2. If the above doesn’t cure the problem, Sent Items may also have been corrupted. Open Outlook Express, create a new Local Folder and name it Sent Items Temp. Go to Sent Items and drag all the emails you want to preserve to the new Sent Items Temp folder then close Outlook Express. Using Explorer navigate to your store folder and delete Sent Items.dbx. Open Outlook Express and a new, empty Sent Items will be created by Windows. Go to Sent Items Temp and drag all the emails to Sent Items then right-click and delete the Sent Items Temp folder that you created.

Noels 15:42 13 Nov 2008

Yes I use OE so will follow your guidance and will see if this cures the problem.
If I send up to 10 e-mails only a couple of my friends find that they are replicated many times.
Regards
Noels

BurrWalnut 16:03 13 Nov 2008

Ah, is it always the same people who receive multiple copies? If so, there could be a problem their end as follows:

If you receive multiple copies of the same email, navigate to your store folder which is a hidden folder located at C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express. You may have to show 'hidden' files in Folder Options > View Tab to see it. Now find and delete the file POP3uidl.dbx. This file keeps track of which messages on the server have already been downloaded and should not be sent to you again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?