One computer can see my router, one can not

Lostnotfound 02:08 02 Dec 2007

Hi, my intention is to connect computer1 to my router via an ethernet cable and computer2 via wireless, however comp2 can not see the router.

Equipment: comp1-XP Pro, comp2-XP Home, router-Belkin Wireless G (F5D7230-4), Vivanco WLAN USB (802.11 b/g), Virgin cable broadband

If I put the WLAN USB on comp2 it can not see my router but can see other networks in the area (ssid's only)
If I put the WLAN on comp1 it can see my router (and connect to the internet)

Tried (and failed): moved the router next to comp2
Changing security settings (wpa, wep, none)
Changing the channel number (inc. setting to auto)

In the router setup instructions it says to disable any firewalls on the computer, when I tested the WLAN USB on comp1 I forgot to do this but it still worked fine. However I thought I ought to follow the instructions to the letter but comp2 will not let me turn off it's firewall. By firewall I mean XP sp2, neither computer has any other firewalls.

Comp2 is second hand from an office where it was part of a network.

Before anybody suggests permantly swapping the computers over I have good reasons for wanting comp1 connected via ethernet cable and comp2 via wireless

dms05 10:06 02 Dec 2007

What software are you using to control the USB WiFi dongle? The standard inbuilt XP wifi manager or the software that came with the USB dongle. It's generally recommended on this forum to use the XP wifi Manager. What you can't do is have them both running at the same time.

Have you tried an alternate USB port?

Is the USB dongle set to 802.11b only on the problem computer (it's not necessarily the same on both computers).

The XP firewall is accessed via your network connections. Hightlight your WiFi connection, right click, chose Propeties and then Advanced to look at your firwall setting for that adaptor.

Lostnotfound 14:59 11 Dec 2007

First can I appolagise for disappearing, ended up in hospital (broken leg).
Solved problem by replacing dongle with pci card.
Thanks dms05 for trying, it is appriated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?