one of the automatic updates not installing

Emperor Penguin 14:02 25 May 2008

Every time i shutdown windows xp it asks me if i want to install this security update (KB896358) and appears to install it before it shuts down but then it's still there again the next time I shut down and again and again. what is happening here and what can i do about it?

ambra4 14:29 25 May 2008

See if this fix your problem download this program

click here

Unzip and Double Click on the exe file

Click the green tick button click GO

Dial-a-fix is an advanced utility for 32-bit versions of Microsoft Windows that repair

various Windows problems

Emperor Penguin 17:01 25 May 2008

I ran that dial a fix program but the problem is still there. As soon as windows boots up again it starts downloading this update again and it's the same as before, waiting to be installed again.

mrwoowoo 17:03 25 May 2008

Would turning off automatic updates prevent it?

Emperor Penguin 17:14 25 May 2008

it's strange. i install the update and then 60 seconds later the yellow shield icon is back again on the taskbar so i click it and the same update is there in the Automatic Updates window, waiting to be installed again. I suppose could always uncheck that particular update and keep my fingers crossed.

wis 21:01 25 May 2008

just checked my update history. dont see kb896358
im running xp3, might make a diff but check what
is this update

Emperor Penguin 21:56 25 May 2008

it says "A security issue has been identified in the HTML component that could allow an attacker to compromise your windows-based system and gain control over it. etc..

jolorna 22:05 25 May 2008

acording to here click here its a very old update which would have been well before sp3

wis 22:14 25 May 2008

what fire wall
a friend with simular problem, downloaded latest
flash player sorted click here ,strange but true

wis 22:19 25 May 2008

jolorna
yes good link , so why is it popping up on pc now ?

jolorna 22:39 25 May 2008

good question unless xp3 has brought it up as needed, could try a manual download and install i have found some in the past that have been cured that way

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017