One audio socket in netbook

  BillyOC 13:54 16 Jul 2009

In the Compaq Mini 702EA netbook, there is only one audio socket. To connect a headset, a special jack plug is needed. This has FOUR rings of connectors - Right, left, microphone and earth.

I have searched the web for either an adapter which connects the four band jack to two sockets OR a headset with this special jack. (I wonder if there is a name for this jack?)

Computer shops have never heard of this and Compaq support website are not helpful.

A work around is to use a USB headset or to use the built in micriphone but I'd prefer to use the audio socket.

  woodchip 14:00 16 Jul 2009

i suspect it does not use all the connections

  BillyOC 14:14 16 Jul 2009

Thanks, Woodchip.

According to the Compaq FAQs , all four terminal are used. My problem is that I don't know the name of this type of jack, so that I can hunt one down.

  Peter 15:00 16 Jul 2009


I think I've seen this "four band" jack plug used on mobile phone microphone/headphone connectors.

Or you could try Maplin.


  BillyOC 16:13 16 Jul 2009

I've managed to find the name of this type of jack.
It's "4 pole 3.5mm jack"

It is the type used on my camcorder to connect it to the TV. But I still can't find out how to connect a two jack headset to the single socket on my Netbook.
I may have to do a spot of soldering.

  Stuartli 18:27 16 Jul 2009

Like these?

click here

  Stuartli 19:35 16 Jul 2009

Is it something on these lines?

click here

  Stuartli 19:44 16 Jul 2009

According to the specifications of your laptop, there are two headphones out + mic-in combo jack, expansion ports.

  BillyOC 19:58 16 Jul 2009

Thanks to everyone for all the effort. It looks as if it's not going to be possible to do what I want - to use a standard headset with earphones and microphone. These have TWO jack plugs and my Netbook needs ONE 4 pole 3.5mm jack. I'm surprised that Compaq would produce a computer without any simple means of using it with Skype. The real reason for getting a netbook is to make travelling with it easier - and then using Skype.

  Stuartli 22:01 16 Jul 2009
  Stuartli 22:06 16 Jul 2009

Such jack plugs are also known as TRS (1/8th inch size is equal to 3.5mm) units.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017