onboard soundcard faulty

nonowtatall 09:20 02 Sep 2008

i think my onboard soundcard is faulty as the sound is all distorted and scratchy can i over ride the card and put a new sound card in the tower and is it a simple operation the mother board is a asrock k47 this only happend after doing a clean format and install with windows xp pro sp2

baldydave 10:10 02 Sep 2008

Hi,
have you installed the lastest drivers for your board from Asrock since ther install,it might be windows is using generic drivers.
Go the asrock site and download & install all board drivers for your motherboard.

griffon56 12:44 02 Sep 2008

Agree with baldydave and also mention that if you've got on-board sound it's probably Realtek AC97 for which there is an update available from realtek.com.

Further, have you had a look at your volume control settings thro' 'Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - Audio Tab - Sound Playback volume button', which brings up the multi-channel volume control.

Windows starts up after a reload with everything turned up to max, you might just be overloading your poor little tinny loudspeakers. Turn down the Wave volume control and then adjust the Master to give a better level.

However, I think baldydave is more likely to be right. To check if you've got sound driver problems go to 'Control Panel - System - Hardware Tab - Device Manager button' and click on 'Sound, Video and Game Controllers'.

If there is a question mark against any or all of what's there you need new drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?