Onboard microphone (& wecam)

Miss Happy 12:23 04 Mar 2006

This may sound like a stupid question, but how can I tell if the onboard microphone is on or off? I am concerned because some PC techs' can switch the microphone on or off remotely (and webcam), all that is needed is a PC's address. I have realtek audio but cannot tell if the mike is on or off. The laptop manual doesnt help either!

anskyber 14:45 04 Mar 2006

Are you on Windows XP?

Miss Happy 17:04 04 Mar 2006

Yes, my OS is XP SP2. The icons/ check boxes either say select or mute for the realtek audio. The MS help does not help. It is daft that there isnt anything to click on to see if it is active - mike or webcam. As they are both built-in, its not just a case of pulling the plug! My main concern is security/ privacy. The manual with pc is rubbish regarding any onboard equip. and what it does say is vague on anything.
Thanks for your reply.

Miss Happy 17:07 04 Mar 2006

Whoops - better make sure the 'wecam' is off!

anskyber 18:29 04 Mar 2006

Start>Control Panel>Sound speech and audio devices>Volume>Advanced. You will see the settings for youe mic etc.

anskyber 18:31 04 Mar 2006

Many web cams have a telltale light which comes on when used.

Jackcoms 18:49 04 Mar 2006

If you've got MSN Messenger installed go into Tools; Audio and Video setup and work through the wizard.

It allow you to check that your webcam and microphone are set up and working correctly.

Miss Happy 11:00 05 Mar 2006

Thanks for your help, it was one of those mind blocks. The screensaver (a preloaded maker of PC type), comes on and besides showing lots of graphics also has lots of shots of room (+ anything else that is in shot). It also came with 'Gameface' messenger, again, a preinstalled prog. that started immediately the laptop starts. I will do same as you advise with both messengers. I was not happy with some of the preloaded software - the manual and online help are not of much use. If I want to know anything about whats in my PC, it requires lots of online searches. The manual is none specific to the model!
Thanks again for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?