Omega drivers for Radeon graphics cards-opinions.

dagwoood 22:23 03 May 2004

Have installed Cacheman s/w to see if I can improve my systems performance(i.e.hold more data in RAM).

I can't tweak this s/w to its full effect because certain settings wont work with Catalyst drivers(I have a Crucial Radeon 9200se graphics card).

Was thinking of installing Omega drivers but didn't know if they are stable/any good/improvement over ATI drivers.

Would appreciate any feedback.(I didn't find anything when I did a search of this site).

Cheers, dagwoood.

ThePharcyde007 22:47 03 May 2004

try click here and look at there forums under graphics cards awesome for this kinda question. I have tried Both Ati and Omegas and cannot nottice a difference on my 9800pro still using the factory supplied with my card as ive found this better!!! personal choice though

hugh-265156 22:51 03 May 2004

i use the omegas with an old Hercules Raddy 9000 and they are very stable for me with xp.

they are just basically the standard unchanged ati drivers with a few tweaks to set them up for quality over performance.they are slower in benchmarks but look better in most games for me.

you also get a few tweaking tools like radlinker and a direct x tweaker in control panel to play with if you like that sort of thing.

i like them.

hugh-265156 22:54 03 May 2004

ps.dont uninstall your ati driver,leave it installed. just uninstall your ati control panel.

then install the omegas.its driver will overwrite the installed ati one and install the new control panel.

read the read me.

gudgulf 22:58 03 May 2004

I like Omega drivers for Ati cards----however bear in mind the the 9200se is a low spec card based on the old 9000 series.Any up-to-date driver you use will be optimised for the latest directx9 cards.I used to have an Ati9000pro which gave its best results on Omega drivers but benchmark results became progressively slower with each catalyst release after version 3.1.
Because Omega drivers are tweaked official catalyst drivers they would most likely perform no different to Ati drivers in respect of your original question.
You would probably be better off increasing the amount of RAM on your system-----give us your pc spec and you might get better advice.

dagwoood 23:19 03 May 2004

Thanks for the input guys. Didn't realise that Omega drivers were basically tweaked ATI drivers, so as gudulf has pointed out, the Omega drivers wont let me do what I want anyway.

Gudulf, I've just increased my RAM and now have 768mb in total. I have an Athlon xp 2400+ cpu. My o/s is xp but the only bottleneck for my system is an old 10gb Seagate h/d. I'm trying to cut down on my system having to keep accessing the drive and keep what I can in RAM. That's why I installed the Cacheman s/w, to see if I could do this.

In Cacheman, there's an option to maximise the usage of the disk/system cache. I assumed that this would keep more data in my RAM. I can't enable this function because there's a conflict if you have Catalyst drivers installed(ergo, why I started this thread about Omega drivers).

I'd probably be better off starting a new thread and see if anyone has any advice to get my system to keep more data in RAM.

Cheers, dagwoood.

gudgulf 23:34 03 May 2004

The disc/system cache is the very thing that you don't want to be using--this is the page file!

To be honest I dont think that cacheman helps all that much.Try running without it.

My guess is that the old drive is inherently slow and that the demands of running xp is causing the problem.

As an experiment,if you are brave AND you don't run any memory intensive programs you could temporarily disable the virtual memory and see if things improve.That way there is only ram in use and if it is not any better then the read speed of the hard drive is the problem and you should upgrade it!

hugh-265156 01:06 04 May 2004

my advice for what its worth would be:

forget about cacheman and other ram/performance optimising programs altogether and just let windows handle it.set swap file as "system managed size"yopu will just be adding another program that takes up ram to run in my opinion.

xp runs exactly the same for me with 512mb of ram installed with the swap file either set to system managed size,both values set to twice the installed ram or even no paging file altogether.

try it and see what works best for you.my guess is you wont see any difference with the settings when you have anything over 512mb of ram installed.

use the info from click here click here instead and disable or set to manual any unneeded services and stop any unneeded programs starting with windows.

that will do a better job in freeing up some ram for better use in my opinion.

dagwoood 01:40 04 May 2004

Thanks for the continued advice guys.

I didn't realise that the system/disc cache is the paging file! It's my systems use of this that I'm trying to stop. I'm not using cacheman to free up RAM, I'm trying to do the opposite of what most pc owners do and get my system to retain data in my RAM.

As I don't use any memory intensive programs and have nearly 600mb of free RAM on boot up, I have turned of my virtual memory to see if this retards my system from keep accessing my h/d.

The problem is, even when I go into control panel/performance and maint/system/advanced/performance settings/advanced/virtual memory and disable the page file, when I reboot my system is still using a page file even though I've turned off the virtual memory.

Should I be looking elsewhere to stop this or does xp, by default, create a page file that I have no control over?

Thanks again for the help, dagwoood.

hugh-265156 02:02 04 May 2004

as above i doubt it will make any difference in performance what you set the page file too with youre ammount of ram.

when you set to "no paging file" did you click "set"and restart?

dagwoood 02:09 04 May 2004

Huggyg71, yes I did. I run diskeeper lite and it shows the page file when I run an analysis of the h/d. When I select no paging file and reboot, diskeeper doesn't show a page file, so I thought I'd disabled it. But if I go into task manager it still says my system is using a paging file.

Cheers, dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?