Olmarik .SJ Trojan, Is your PC Safe?

albu 23:00 10 Feb 2010

Hi

I thought I was relatively safe with Mcafee security centre up to date and spywareblaster installed. I WASN'T. A few days ago my pc starting to reboot for no reason twice over 3 days. A mcafee scan found nothing until I tried it in safemode, it turned up the Olmarik trojan and repaired it? So I thought! It was still there. I scanned my pc with Spybot and malwarebytes, both failed to pick up the trojan. I then downloaded Eset Smart Security, It found the trojan but didn't clean it. In the end I downloaded xp updates, tried to reboot my pc but failed to reboot in normal, last good config. or safe mode.I then formatted my hard disk.

Questions, Why didn't mcafee catch the trojan in a normal scan?

How safe really is anti-virus or security software?

Running your security software in safemode is new to me?

I eventually got some support from ESET, but it was too late. They gave me instructions on how to send the trojan (file) to them.

Thanks, be safe!

birdface 23:15 10 Feb 2010

I do not think that there is any Security center that actually stops everything.
Thats why you need a good Anti-malware-Spyware Program that gives full time protection and will stop unwanted programs from installing on your computer when Browsing.
You pay for a Security suite so why not pay for a good Anti-Malware program as well.
Not 100% sure but I think the free version of Superantispyware also gives full time protection .If so that would do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?