ole32.dll not found

s99Raj 10:08 03 Jan 2006

I have a laptop with XP Home on it. At start up I get a box entitled "winlogon.exe - Unable To Locate Component" and the message in the box is :

This application has failed to start because ole32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

When I click OK, it continues to another box entitled "Explorer.EXE - Unable To Locate Component" followed by the same message as above telling me that ole32.dll is missing.

I've tried going into the Recovery Console and typing chkdsk /p but this hasn't helped.
I have a copy of the ole32.dll file which I think needs to go into C:\Windows\System32 but I can't get to it because Windows won't start, not even in Safe Mode.

Any ideas please? Cheers.

s99Raj 10:11 03 Jan 2006

I've also tried chkdsk /r, by the way.

rawprawn 10:59 03 Jan 2006

Start/Run/ type sfc /scannow. You will need your XP Disc. See if that solves the problem.

rawprawn 11:00 03 Jan 2006
  VoG II 11:01 03 Jan 2006

Will it start in Last Known Good Configuration?

If not, repair click here

s99Raj 11:12 03 Jan 2006

rawprawn : I've been to that site but it's no good to me becuase I can't even get into Windows to get to the Start menu etc. If I could I would just be able to copy the dll file into the System32 folder.

The Last Known Configuration doesn't work I'm afraid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?