Old 'Your PC is Infected' Scam again

geedad 17:32 19 May 2011

I have, for the second time this week, received an email purporting to be from my son, with many CC emails, some known to me,but it is NOT genuine. I have checked with my son, and he tells me that on no occassion has he recently sent me an email. The first time, I DID open the email, and suddenly saw an application running all over my PC, informing me that I had many dangerous viruses, and I should run a scan to rid my PC of these, and of course, to buy the Anti-Virus Programme! I did delete it instantly, and that seemed to be the end of it,but about an hour ago, a new fake email from my son appeared again. I have sent it to my JUNK email folder, and then deleted it, as I did before, but I am a little apprehensive because of the potential nuisance this can cause. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium, with AVG (free) and SuperAntiVirus (free) installed. I also use Ccleaner almost every day. I have been helped by our Forum with exactly the same problem some time ago,and I am seeking advice again about what action I should now take. geedad

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:53 19 May 2011

I am seeking advice again about what action I should now take. geedad

Ther is nothing else you can do other than delete e-mails without opening them if you think they are Scam.

Your son's e-mail address has obviously been cloned - it might be worth him doing a full set of AV and Antimalware scans to be sure his PC is clean.

geedad 19:33 19 May 2011

Fruit Bat /\0/\ Thanks,again, Fruit Bat /\0/\, I have now done that and keep my fingers crossed! geedad

tullie 19:52 19 May 2011

Tell your son to change his password.

geedad 10:05 20 May 2011

tullie Fruit Bat /\0/\ Forgot to mention that many of the CCs insertions were from my 'Contacts' list. Also the "message" in the email was a .com (http://) website with a silly name - dinghies-daysailers/surprise2011 - then .html. Yes, that was the spelling! Of course, I did not click on it! Thanks, tullie. geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone