Old system with appearance of new XP install

techy gal 17:16 04 Nov 2005

I have today successfully installed a wireless network at home. Various reboots have happened on home PC with no issue. Latest reboot seems to imply this is my first boot on XP. My desktop settings were default. Just tried opening Outlook (which was working fine) and it's asking me to set up new accounts.
Keep trying system restore but it keeps telling me there have been no updates to my computer. Now trying back to beginning of October still with no success. What the hell has happened??
Please, please help

Splork 18:21 04 Nov 2005

Start Menu/Run , `type sfc /scannow` to check your system files, then run a full virus scan. If you look in Control Panel/Add Remove Programs and tick the "Show updates" box you can confirm whether the updates are there or not.

techy gal 20:03 04 Nov 2005

I have done the scannow but my system says that the virus checker isn't installed - it certainly was this morning
is it possible that my home pc is looking at a copy of my laptop in some way...nothing is working. the D drive is fine which has all the documents on but the C drive seems totally mucked up

Splork 20:29 04 Nov 2005

It sounds as though something has damaged the registry - do all your programs show up in Add/Remove? If the PC has been rebooted a few times since this happened the following may have no effect, but try hitting F8 during boot before the XP logo appears, then select Last Known Good Configuration from the list. The network will only share files and folders you specify, no system specific settings will be transferred/mixed up.

techy gal 23:56 04 Nov 2005

done as you suggest. it appears to have restored to a point at around September last year! is there no way of picking anything up since this? I've got some stuff in the recycle bin which when I attempt to restore I get a message saying 'Recycle bin on C:/ has become corrupt...'?
Outlook opens up as though we've never used it before and on and on...

god how I hate technology.

we thought we had a back up on a maxtor one touch - caveat emptor - seemingly not

feel pretty desperate....so much not retrievable

Splork 03:45 05 Nov 2005

Last Known/System Restore shouldn't destroy any documents, it's only restoring your system configuration - if you use Outlook and are worried about lost emails, check your PC for .pst files, if you are using Outlook Express, .dbx files - check `Show hidden files` and uncheck `Hide system files` in Control Panel/Folder Options. Check the dates of the aforementioned files - they should be recent, if so back them up or .zip them straight away before attempting to reimport them back into the relevant application.
The corrupt recycle bin problem is only something I've come across when an older file system has NTFS files to deal with. It sounds as if your HD is playing up - run `chkdsk /r` from Start Menu/Run to see if there are any damaged areas of the hard disk.

techy gal 14:23 05 Nov 2005

no .pst files!

I have run chkdsk /r anf the following message appears

The type of file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? Y/N

anyway, I've said no and resiging myself now to the fact that it's all gone. Off to dabs to buy myself a neew hard drive and start to rebuild...

thanks for all your help, Splork, you're a decent chap to a damsel in distress!!

Splork 23:35 05 Nov 2005

A shame you couldn't get your stuff back - the warning message you saw was just putting off the scan, it's still worth doing all the same to check your main drive is healthy - it may explain the strange errors you've had.

No prob, glad to help, even if it didn't result in the ideal solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?