Old slides to digital presentations, what s/ware?

Ankermi31 12:21 24 Nov 2008

Windows XP.

Husband has 100s of 35mm slides and has decided to become "modern man" and move into the digital world.

For him to succeed he needs something to allow the creation of discs for digital presentations.

Any observations as to suitable software appreciated. He is not quite a novice but by no means a techie.

DippyGirl 14:00 24 Nov 2008

There was a review in Issue 161 for the Veho VFS-004 also available online click here
Seems it was let down by some clunky software, but produced good quality images.

I have yet to embark on my slide conversion project so have no real-life experience..sorry

Ankermi31 14:38 24 Nov 2008

Yep we had picked that up but not too impressed.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

johndrew 16:41 24 Nov 2008

A lot depends on exactly what sort of presentation he is doing. If it is pictures in support and timed to his words with the ability to go back to earlier pictures it is one thing, if it is an automatic presentation with over talk it is another.

Have a look at these and see if anything suits:
click here
click here

Or could it be that he needs help to produce a PowerPoint presentation click here or click here

recap 20:27 24 Nov 2008

Your husband could try Photo Story 3 from Microsoft click here for information and the download.

Ankermi31 08:51 25 Nov 2008

Thank you John and recap for your information.

Maybe I did not make myself very clear in my original posting. The 35mm slides are from the conventional Canon 1000 ES Camera. What we want to do is:-

Transfer the slides onto the computer then to tweak into a digital presentation. What software do you recommend to enable this transfer of slides to be done? The 0ctober preview of Veho VFS-004 seems to problematical for a beginner.

Secondly we wanted to know what to use for presentation of the digital images thereafter - this seems to have been covered adequately in your replies.

Sorry if confusion arose.

johndrew 10:24 25 Nov 2008

As you know, you will need to use a scanner with a 35mm slide adapter, or a dedicated slide scanner, to scan the slides into the PC. As you are using XP the set up is simple enough and scanning is easy depending on the quality/cleanliness of the slides - this latter will be apparent to you as you progress. Once you have copied the slides there are various programs that can be used to manipulate/modify them as you wish.

For a scanner there are many on the market, including the Veho VFS-004, but my preference would be a flat bed scanner - more expensive (depending on what you buy) but also more flexible. I recently started on my slides and decided on an Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner click here, not the cheapest, or most expensive, but it has many tools built in that I have found extremely valuable.

I asked for help/advice/suggestions on this forum in deciding which scanner to buy, maybe the help I got will aid you click here.

Hope all this helps.

Ankermi31 08:49 26 Nov 2008

Excellent response many thanks John Amazon has a good deal on at the moment.

I take it that reproduction of the written word i.e. letters, statements, documents etc are A1?

We currently use a flat bed scanner (albeit a Visioneer 4400)which although basic does fantastic scans of paperwork.

john bunyan 11:20 26 Nov 2008

Ankermi. I am sure Epson as a scanner is good. For a multipurpose device (ie a combined scanner, photocopier and printer ) I have a preference for Canon on the grounds that the ink seems less prone to clodding up if the machine is unused for a while. I assume you meant A4? I have an old Nikon Coolscan 2 which was dedicated to negs and slides, but it had a SCSI interface which is outdated. Such dedicated scanners are a bit expensiv,so I suggest you look at the spec of both Canon and Epsons flatbeds or multipurpose devices and ensure the true (not digitally enhanced) resolution is above 4500dpi, preferably over 5000.

johndrew 11:55 26 Nov 2008

Yes, the deal at Amazon now is better than when I bought mine!!! For more information you can look at the Epson site click here. Perhaps I should add that everything you need (including the USB cable) is in the box and the included software is pretty comprehensive as well. You may want to consider a dedicated photo editor as I found that supplied a little limited.

I have used the scanner for 35mm slides, both colour and black & white photos, producing positives from both colour and black & white negatives, enhancing colour in faded photos, copying normal documents (up to A4) and colour documents. In all cases the results were excellent in my opinion. The scanner uses three options Automatic, Home and professional. Depending on how confident you are or how necessary additional inputs/adjustments are you can choose to use one of these options - for much of the scanning Automatic with an upgrade in resolution was fine as the scanner will determine whether it is a slide or photo it is looking at. Advancing from there is necessary if you are scanning negatives, need to apply adjustments or for some options.

john bunyan makes valid observations on resolution but this scanner exceeds his baseline by a long way at 6400 dpi. I would never recommend a multifunction unit though as in my opinion a machine that tries to do many things will often fall down on part of its specification. Separate units will take more space but in terms of reliability and quality tend to be better.

At the end of the day the choice of manufacturer and unit it yours, I can only pass on my experience.

Ankermi31 08:45 27 Nov 2008

John B. Thanks for your reply, we do not need multi function abilities, our Epson Sytlus Photo Printer which is enough for us.

John D. Yet again John your reply is excellent for this beginners forum thank you. We particularly like the ideal that everything is supplied with the scanner. Important for those who are not too sure of what to do.

Additionally from what you have said it will be very suitable for printed off old paperwork in relation to genealogy research.

We need a scanner we can understand, a machine that tries many things will often fall down escalated often by its use by inexperienced operators.

Thank you for sharing your experience for which we are very grateful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?