old problem unresolved

Marko797 19:40 22 Feb 2008

I have asked about this b4 on here but without resolution, so hoping for some fresh input. It has taken a new twist however, so plz bear with me.

Wife has vista laptop, and I have xp desktop. Both successfully connect to internet via speedtouch router. The desktop is wired, laptop is wifi connected.

Set up network, using the desktop to provide settings to pen drive. Tfrd settings to laptop, then plugged bk into desktop.

Both computers in the same workgroup (MSHOME), and can see each others shared folders. Desktop can access vista laptop; laptop cannot however access desktop. Gets message, not authorised or something. The laptop cannot print via network, but can if plugged into the printer direct- no prob with the actual printer.

Here's the twist. Just bought XP laptop. Connected to MSHOME network no probs, I can access desktop & the shared folders and print wirelessly.

Can someone plz tell me what the problem is?

Common sense suggests it has to be 'vista connected', or the defender, or something else. Should I try shutting down defender? If so, how's that actually done?

I've shut down comodo firewall, and disabled the vista firewall. I've tried to eliminate all I can think of with this.

Driving me mad, and has since xmas when she had the laptop.

Please help.

Zaphod 3 19:47 22 Feb 2008

Have you enabled printer and file sharing in network control centre on the Vista laptop. Also make the network private in control centre too.

Marko797 20:54 22 Feb 2008

yes both settings ok for printer & file sharing. & network private. Any other ideas? Still getting host computer 'not accessible', contact the administrator of the server for permission'...

Marko797 21:16 22 Feb 2008

have managed to stop this, but still no joy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?