Old portable Compaq 286 disk error

Ex plorer 16:18 27 Apr 2006

Hi I have just acquired a very old Compaq 286, model 2680 portable PC.
It has I think around 400 MB HD. and at a guess 33 MHz. The old PC is in immaculate condition and complete so I would like to get it up and running.
I keep getting the message: - 1790 disk error, 162 Systems options not set.
Insert Diagnostics disk in Drive a:
Resume F1.
I can’t access the BIOS I have tried F2 F10 and the Delete keys on boot but with no success.
I have done some research and it would seem that Compaq used to put the BIOS on part of the hard drive if the HD has been changed then I am sort of stuck. I havant been able to get into the PC as yet to have a look see.
I don’t seem to be able to find the Diagnostic disks to down load to set up the PC anywhere.
Cant Fdisk it tried it with DOS 6.2.
Ex

pj123 16:51 27 Apr 2006

I think you are on a lost cause here.

A 286 is earlier than DOS 6.2.

Ex plorer 17:44 27 Apr 2006

I didnt think it would matter for Fdisk ,I have just found MS DOS 3.10 Release 3.02A dated 11/4/85.
I think that would be well before the PC I also have Dos 5 in an unopend box. must be a big book inside it weighs alot.
I think The above spec I gave is well out also probly half what I thought it was.
This is the errm Lap Top click here

Ray5776 18:57 27 Apr 2006

You cant be serious, Noah had a better one in his Ark.

martjc 19:16 27 Apr 2006

...we all may scoff at these old buggers, but if it weren't for pioneer machines, we would not be in the position we are today.
These old groundbreakers should be kept working even for the sake of posterity.
Don't laugh - I used Dos 3, albeit some time ago. At the time it was a great breakthrough for computer users and set many standards!

More power to your elbow Ex plorer!! Hope you get it worrking!!!

Ray5776 20:09 27 Apr 2006

martjc,
you have a very good point, I remember my first Amsrad DOS machine, a marvel in it`s time.
Did not really mean to scoff, comment was meant lightheartedly :-)

ray

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:29 27 Apr 2006

1780 or 1790 hard disk error at boot.

Cause:

1. Configuration values have been recently changed
2. Jumpers not set properly
3. Cables loose or not connected
4. Bad hardware

Solution:

Configuration values have been recently changed
If the hard disk drive values have been recently changed or adjusted either through hardware or software: verify that the values are properly set within CMOS. If CMOS is setup as Auto this should be sufficient.

Jumpers not set properly
Verify that the jumpers are properly set on the hard disk drive.

Cables loose, not connected or damaged.
Verify that the data and power cable are connected to the hard disk drive. If the cables appear to be properly connected, disconnect the cables and then re-connect the cables to ensure they are not loose. In addition, verify that the data cable is also connected to the motherboard or interface card.
Renew cable

Bad hardware
If all of the above recommendations have been completed and the computer continues to experience the same issues, unfortunately it is likely that the hard disk drive and/or motherboard/interface board is bad. It is recommended that the hard disk drive be replaced first.

Sounds like the bios battery is flat and it has forgotten its settings in which case you will need a setup disk to restore them. I think I have the files here if you want me to send them email me.

greenlamp 21:30 27 Apr 2006

If I remember correctly the BIOS on these machines wasn't set up as we would now but utilised a floppy disk based configuration utility. Thus if the backup battery has expired a copy of this utility would be needed to reset the BIOS parameters.

greenlamp 21:31 27 Apr 2006

If I remember correctly the BIOS on these machines wasn't set up as we would now but utilised a floppy disk based configuration utility. Thus if the backup battery has expired a copy of this utility would be needed to reset the BIOS parameters.

Ex plorer 21:47 27 Apr 2006

Hi all well its in bits now and Its built like a Brick Weight is 14LB cost when new $5395 I paid a £10, It was born in 1989.
Thanks for the laughs and sites I will let you know how it goes.
What do you think of fdisking the HD in my old dell and what Fat should I set it at.
I hope to run Win3.0 when finished.
Yes greenlamp thats what I need and will try the site of Be La.
will check all other sugestions to.
Just thouht the HD has a very small 3 prong connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?