Old PC needs new printer - Please Help!

Chickadee 21:08 24 Mar 2006

I have a Tiny PC, 6 years old, Windows 98SE, and until today had an Epson Stylus C84 printer (which has broken.)
I went to Currys and then Comet today to buy a new printer, but in each store I was told that there was probably only one printer made that would connect to my old PC and they tried to explain about the connection. I felt very foolish because I didn't understand what they meant - and I still don't have a printer and I need one desperately.
Please, please can anyone explain in plain english what connection I need? Obviously, you can probably tell I love using my stuff, but don't really understand the technicalities. Thanks in advance.

rmcqua 21:23 24 Mar 2006

Hi chickadee,
What they were trying to tell you is that nearly all new printers connect via a USB port. Your old C84 had a parallel connector and these have just about vanished from modern printers because the USB interface is much faster and the connectors are smaller.
If your PC does not have a USB port (it may have, you need to check) than you need to buy a PCI/USB adapter card and fit it into your PC. This will provide you with USB ports, like this one:
click here
You can then use any printer that you care to buy.
Hope this helps.

Chickadee 21:34 24 Mar 2006

Thank you, so, so much! That's exactly the information I wanted, I shall print your answer and take it with me to PC World (or similar) tomorrow. I'm very grateful to you rmcqua, thanks!

rmcqua 21:55 24 Mar 2006

You're welcome, and if you are looking for a very reasonably priced, general purpose printer (but good enough for photo quality if you want) the Epson D88 gets some good reviews.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone