Old PC Data to new PC

MIKE. 12:07 20 Jun 2006

My neighbour has just bought a new lap top. He wants to create the same setup on the new laptop as on his old one. I was reading an article in this months PC Advisor, which was about xfering data using a programme Transfer Mypc which seemed just what I wanted. Looking into where to buy Transfer Mypc and was surprised to find you can only use the programme once and then throw it away, which seems such a waste.Does anyone know of a similar programme that is simple to use and not one use only and is either free or relativly priced. Many thanks Guys.

oldbeefer2 12:44 20 Jun 2006

I recently used the 'Files and Settings Transfer Wizard' in XP Accesories. Took a while, but everything transferred without glitches.

MIKE. 12:48 20 Jun 2006

Thanks oldbeefer2 will keep that in mind

MIKE. 22:26 20 Jun 2006

bump

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:31 20 Jun 2006

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard is the way to go will put the new machine into the same state as old one.

Everything from favourites / desktop wallpaper to emails.

MIKE. 22:34 20 Jun 2006

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ seems Settings Transfer Wizard is the winner again thanks for all the help

MIKE. 22:52 20 Jun 2006

just one further question guys the Settings Transfer Wizard talks about serial PC to PC file transfer cable not an ether net cable but other reading I have looked at sugests using an Ether net cable for the xfer which one is correct or can one use either. If you can use an ether net cable is it a plain bog standard one.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:24 20 Jun 2006

Save the settings to a folder on a hard drive and then use whatever you like to transfer that folder to another PC. run settings on new machine and point to folder. click here

If you have the machines networked with a crossover ethernet cable that will work

DieSse 23:27 20 Jun 2006

I can't see any reason not to use an Ethernet cable.

If it's a satraight system to system connection, you'll need a Crossover cable - so that the input of one is wired to the output of the other - and vice versa. Standard cables are not "crossed over".

MIKE. 22:47 21 Jun 2006

many thanks one and all for your answers sorry for not coming back sooner with thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?