Old pc crashed, new one does same!!!

marlow77 22:50 08 Nov 2007

For donkey's my old pc would crash randomly 2-3 times a day, with the odd few days off, usualy when trying to multitask too much. 80% of the time it was when I was camming on msn, I just thought the memory or graphics card couldn't handle it but it also would crash sometimes when watching video clips. It was also slowing down so I bought a brand new one just. 1gb of ram, didn't bother with vista, my bog standard XP was put on, a reasonable graphics card 256Mb Nvidia 7300GT I think that's reasonable anyway and I saw a marked improvement, new pc multi tasked with no probs. But just now it crashed while camming again!! No one else I know has this problem so it's not like msn or aynthing, could it be my cam? It's a logitech express thingy and it is 5 yrs old. You can see when it's going to crash the cam framerate slows right down then freezes but then does the entire pc!!

woodchip 22:55 08 Nov 2007

If you use your PC's for Gaming, Expect them to crash. That's my opinion, If you want to Game Buy a PS2 or Xbox

Technotiger 22:59 08 Nov 2007

On the face of it, it does look like your cam may be the problem. Try another cam and see if it still crashes.

marlow77 23:00 08 Nov 2007

As per the post please..? (Gaming isn't mentioned)

MCE2K5 23:07 08 Nov 2007

Had to look up camming, thanks wikipedia.org ((I'm getting on a bit (52)).

If the same Progs soft/Hardware fails on both machines, it could be the driver for the Camera.

woodchip 23:07 08 Nov 2007

Sorry What's this camming I took it for misspelled for Gaming

woodchip 23:12 08 Nov 2007

As for it crashing like the old one, don't think that as any link. Unless you have copied files from your old one. You could have copied a Virus over

Technotiger 23:16 08 Nov 2007

The link could be, using the same possibly dodgy camera, on both PC's.

woodchip 23:20 08 Nov 2007

Ho I see! is it a web Cam? May need newer drivers if he can get some

woodchip 23:21 08 Nov 2007

PS Video even Web cam does put a lot of strain on a system

marlow77 23:22 08 Nov 2007

Thanks, I will try a new cam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?