Old OS in New Computer

david58 22:28 03 Apr 2007

Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of building a completely new computer and would like to just drop in my old HDD from my current one, which includes Home XP.
But I am wondering how the OS will react, having gone to bed in a Duron 1.3 machine and waking up in an Athlon Dual Core muscle machine?
I presume I will have to re-validate it in some way (it's so long since I first did it, I've forgotten how I did it then), but will it get indigestion trying to sort itself out in the first place?
It seems the ideal solution if it works as all my settings will be as they are now, except in a faster computer.
Any thoughts, anyone?
David

Fingees 22:35 03 Apr 2007

You should have no real problems,I have upgraded many times Nothing much changes exept the speed.

Re activating, you should be able to do it over the internet, as XP records were only kept for six months, so it will just appear as a new installation.

Never again 22:36 03 Apr 2007

I'm not sure if the copy of windows belongs to the motherboard nowdays?

I'm of the opinion that if you bought a legit copy of an operating system the you should be able to use it on subsequent pc's - as long as its only on one pc at a time, ie removed or formatted from previous pc's.

therefore if its the same hard drive and not running on another pc then it should be ok.

Will it work though - let me know.

I don't need to buy a new TV just because new channels are introduced.

Stuartli 22:36 03 Apr 2007

I always do an XP Repair if I change a motherboard - XP doesn't always "take" to a new mobo.

See:

click here

You will normally not lose any programs, applications, configuration etc.

Stuartli 22:37 03 Apr 2007

I do the XP Repair from initial bootup of the system after fitting a new board.

mocha 22:50 03 Apr 2007

Whenever I have put a harddrive into another computer as master with Win2000/XP on it I have always had the error 'NTLDR is missing press any key to restart.'

click here
Mocha.

woodchip 22:53 03 Apr 2007

You will have problems

david58 22:34 04 Apr 2007

Thank you everyone, especially for the links.
It may be simpler to buy a new copy of XP, with SP2 included.
The thought of a repair and then updating with SP2 is not one I relish.
I so wanted to put ME back on my older computer with a nice new FAT32 HDD, but I am worried by the complexity of those repair options if I use the current HDD in the new computer.
I'll let yopu know how I get on - it should be ready by about July (I've got to buy it in bits).
Thanks again,
David

woodchip 22:40 04 Apr 2007

If you tried running ME on a new comp you would find that Drivers for the New comp would most likely only support XP and up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?