Old to New PC

Yimbo 19:50 05 Apr 2008

My present PC (6 years old) has (it seems) lots of niggling problems (I'm using XP home with SP1 and 2). and I'm thinking of replacing - presumably Vista Home Premium. How do I go about transferring data from the old to the new, without taking the problems with me. I want to keep documents, photos, videos, music files etc. I have an external hard drive with some of the above stored - but I wonder about my email stuff with OE. I suppose that downloaded programmes such as Zone Labs, Real Player, Adobe Photoshop and the like will have to be re-installed - with further costs to be paid?? What about my Favourites list? Can all this above be safely transferred? Is there any product that will oversee the changeover? Your help would be appreciated folks!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:56 05 Apr 2008

Start programs - accessories - system tools - file an settings transfer wizard.

Save the file to your external drive, then run again in VIsta and load in from your external drive.

Yimbo 13:36 06 Apr 2008

Thanks Fruit Bat! I appreciate your help and guidance!

eedcam 14:41 06 Apr 2008

Photoshop should transfer but will probably just ask for the Activation process to be done again least thats all I had to do.

88mph 15:46 07 Apr 2008

Hi

I am not a gamer don't download movies / music but use pc to surf the net occasionally send rec emails etc. The pc was given to me by my brother.

I want free up space on the H/disc by getting rid of unused software & hopefully gain more speed by de-fragging the system too. I am looking to install only the software I need & also Kapersky anti-virus & Win Xp-Pro as the op system. I need help in the best way to do this. I don't know how to safely transfer all my emails from outlook express to a usb 4gb flash drive. The pc is running really slow. I only have 512mb of pc133mhz memory & a 20Gb H/disc.

How can I keep all emails in the received date order so they can be tranfered back in to outlook express once system has been de-fraged & all other software installed?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

oldbeefer2 15:52 07 Apr 2008

read this first click here - it suggests you need a special cable and a CD to load the programming info to the XP machine first. They are freely available from ebay sellers (well, not free, but under a fiver). Put 'Easy Transfer Cable' into ebay search.

Stuartli 15:56 07 Apr 2008

Advice on how to backup OE etc:

click here

lofty29 15:58 07 Apr 2008

88mph
If you are running xp pro you need 1gb of ram, by the way you have hijacked some-else's thread you should post seperately

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?