Old Monochrome Negatives.

Wixi 09:12 24 Jul 2003

Is there any way I can transfer a multitude of Black & White old negatives 3 1/4 x 2 1/4 and 2 1/4 square. to files to be printed out later. I have a perfection 2400 photo, Adobe 7 and Photo Album. Second rate will not do.

Bebee 09:33 24 Jul 2003

You will need a dedicated negative/slide scanner - not cheap but not second best. Not sure which one's will take negs up to your sizes though.

Bebee 09:40 24 Jul 2003

The CanoScan 9900F (around £300) will scan negs of that size (click here). The dedicated scanners seem to be limited to 35mm. I've never used one or seen the results. Worth seeing if anyone else has. Someone might come up with an alternative.

Good luck

slimpickins 09:53 24 Jul 2003

That looks a very good choice as it will scan negs up to 4X5. My mother uses an Epson with excellent results but the neg scanner is only about 3" wide.

Dedicated neg scanners are much more expensive and scan at resolutions so high that the resulting file is to big to handled by all but the best computers.

graham√ 09:55 24 Jul 2003

It may be as well to ask someone like Jessops for advice, with a view to transferring the negatives to CD on their equipment. click here=

Bebee 10:12 24 Jul 2003

I think √'s advice is good. They'll have all the info and might even manage a demo. If you have a finite number you want done having them done for you might be a good idea. I've thought about this for my slides and negs, but think it might be useful to be able to do it myself in the future as I still want to use my film camera along with the digital.

pj123 11:15 24 Jul 2003

Yes, Jessops do a good job and you could also try click here Both of which are cheaper than buying your own scanner for a one-off job.

Filch 13:30 24 Jul 2003

There are several film scanners on the market that will handle the film sizes you mention. I am familiar with Minolta, try their web site, and Canon, Nikon, &c. However, they are quite expensive. Unless you have very many to scan, probably best to have them done.

slimpickins 18:14 25 Jul 2003

I looked into the scanning and transfer of images for a friend who had a collection of photos and I thought the service very expensive. A good choice if you only have a few but if you have a lot it would be cheaper to get a scanner and you still have a scanner when you've finished the job!

graham√ 20:13 25 Jul 2003

You have ticked as resolved, does that mean you have made a decision?

dave h 20:19 25 Jul 2003

As I said in another thread on this forum....

"One small point, most of the current generation of dedicated negative scanners are designed for colour negatives and colour slides/transparencies.
None of them do too well with Black & White negatives. It's a case of dye image Yes, Silver Image, No. "

If you are going to buy, get the shop to do a trial first.

Also , most dedicated scanners are 35mm only.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017