Old laptop dying.. Want to network with PC to tran

Pizz88 14:41 03 Oct 2010

Hi there,

Thanks for having a read of my problem.
Long story cut short...

My older laptop running Windows Vista has issues with its Graphics chip set and now will only boot in safe mode, as otherwise i seem to get a screen full of colored lines and mess.
I have a newer desktop which is running Windows 7 64bit.

They are both connected to the internet via wifi at my home.

I have about 20gb of data on my laptop i'd like to transfer to my PC... No external HD i can get hold of to do it on.. So i thought maybe networking them so they'll share the files would be a good option.
Only problem is i have no clue how to do it and whether or not the laptop will be able to, as it will only boot in safe mode (with networking enabled)
I can browse the net on it fine, but I'd definitely like to move these files before it dies all together!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

jtay78 16:34 06 Oct 2010

hi Pizz,

there is a simple way of doing this if you're not to sure about the networking them up but i can help you on that if you like ?

ok, boot up both machines and go to click here

on both machines.

by doing this you can log into the laptop Via the main pc and copy the files over !!!!

in regards to networking the machines it's quite simple!

on the Damage laptop go to the C Drive or where ever you want to get the files from, Right click the Drive letter " c:\ or D:\ " go to properties then go to Sharing. you should see a message like this " if you understand the risk but still want to share the root of the drive, click here "

once you're here: go to network sharing and security and put a tick in the share this folder on the network box, then give it a short name, 8 letters only. put a tick in " Allow network users to change my files"

Let me know how you get on !

Best of luck

Jtay

Strawballs 00:54 07 Oct 2010

Find out if the Hard drive is sata or IDE and get an enclosure put the drive in it and use as external drive, transfer everything you want and format to use as external drive.

click here

Pizz88 10:27 11 Oct 2010

All very helpful answers - Thank you!

kristain 09:16 12 Oct 2010

click here for step by step guidelines.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?