Old ISP email address

wotbus@ 18:05 10 Mar 2006

I changed ISP over a year ago and I can still access my old email box. This is not a problem for me as I am happy to sign in every week or so to see if there is mail. Do old email addresses stay "live" with all servers if you change ISP? The reason I ask is my chum has a small business and would like to change ISP but doesn't want the hassle of re-doing all his stationary which bears his current email address.

bjh 18:15 10 Mar 2006

Quite a lot of ISps insist on your dialling in every 90 (120) days to keep the account active.

Others have this as a policy, but never seem to cut your access.

Seems to depend on the ISP.

with a small business & headed notepaper, I'd check the smallprint of the ISP. All he need do is dial in occasionally to keep it active.

wotbus@ 18:25 10 Mar 2006

Thansk bjh. Much obliged.

pj123 18:26 10 Mar 2006

I would agree with bjh. But I think I would check at least once a week. I would also suggest that if your friend wants to change ISPs he does so but keeps the old ISP running in parallel and slowly change his stationery as it runs out. I print my own stationery so if I change ISPs I slowly run the new stationery in as the old runs out.

pj123 18:57 10 Mar 2006

Nice to know it is ticked as resolved, but no idea what it was that sorted it out.

wotbus@ 09:40 11 Mar 2006

As it's in the future I am not able to let anyone know what resolved the problem! The question was answered however, that it would appear policy to leave the email address operational for a period of time [unknown] provided the user signed in occasionally [again period unknown] and that it is best to check with the ISP [no doubt this will be done]. Thanks for all the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?