Old HD into new PC

crapgamer 13:26 31 Mar 2010

My computer has died so I thought I would fit the Hard drive into my other pc to recover some of the files on it eg pics. Both pc run win xp and the hard drive is a sata as is the one in the new pc. When I plug the hard drive in the pc freezes. What am I doing wrong?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:32 31 Mar 2010

You are shutting down before plugging in?

Diemmess 13:45 31 Mar 2010

Safe and easy if you buy an enclosure for the old HD. (Can buy at < £20, make sure it is for SATA)

Using a USB connection you will be able to plug in after the new PC is up and running.

crapgamer 13:45 31 Mar 2010

yes I am shutting down.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:52 31 Mar 2010

When does it freeze? During boot up?

It may be trying to boot from the old drive - check the boot sequence in the BIOS.

alan2k1 13:52 31 Mar 2010

you say your old computer died ..could it be that the old hard drive died ? a faulty hard drive would explain why when this old hard drive is plugged into your new comp it wont boot

crapgamer 14:03 31 Mar 2010

The old pc has no video signal coming from mother board. I presume this is a prob with the chip set. It is an asus A8N-SLI mobo and had to replace the chip fan but left it too late. I got another A8N off ebay which lasted a couple of months and now that has gone the same so I presume it is a common fault as both boards are over 4 years old. I have decided to save a few bob and upgrade the MOBO (Any suggestions)In the mean time I need some stuff off the old HD.

When I boot the new pc with the old hard drive fitted it boots into windows ok and then freezes.
It is booting from its origional hard drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:31 31 Mar 2010

I suggest you run chkdsk on the drive.

Peter 14:35 31 Mar 2010

I agree with Diemmess, a USB External Enclosure (Caddy) is probably the best was to go. They are quite cheap on Amazon; just make sure you get to correct type (SATA?) and size.

Allow the PC to boot and when it has settled down plug the drive, in its enclosure, into a spare USB port. One round the back of the PC might be best so that you get sufficient power for the drive. You may get an extra power lead to plug into another USB port.

You should then be able to access the drive in Windows Explorer (My Computer) and drag and drop files from it to the other hard drive. If it doesn't work then you probably have a faulty drive.

Peter.

crapgamer 20:47 02 Apr 2010

Thank you all for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?