old hd in new pc

llynxuk 12:30 25 Aug 2006

i have fitted old HD into a new pc but win2000 will not boot. i need to use the old HD due to it having activation keys on it for certain aplications (if i run it as a slave i cannot move the activation keys it has to be running as as a stand alone operating system)
any help?

ArrGee 13:04 25 Aug 2006

I noticed this is your second post, but still not very clear.

How are the activation keys held on the old hard drive? On a Word/Note pad file?

By moving an old HD onto a new machine, this does not mean that your applications will run, until they are actually installed on the new PC.

MichelleC 14:01 25 Aug 2006

I may be wrong but I think you can only get w2k to boot from the hd on the pc it was installed on. It's due to different mobos and hardware.

ed-0 14:12 25 Aug 2006

If you just want to boot the old drive in the new computer, you could try a repair installation with the windows 2000 disk. manual repair with an ERD disk click here. Repair with an ERD disk click here. Standard 2000 repair option click here. The trouble is you cannot guarantee that data may not be lost.

If you want to dual boot with the win2000, you would need to do a repair and then use a boot manager. Acronis disk director has one, but you must buy it.

ed-0 14:13 25 Aug 2006

First click here was repair without an ERD disk.

llynxuk 07:45 29 Aug 2006

Thanks for replies the keys are transferable using floppy disc but these have been lost due to age of software but i will try running repair

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?