Old h.d in new computer

rewired 14:39 11 Jun 2004

Greetings, some advice please.
Just bought a new computer(h.p. 2.66G/512m/80G.h.d )and want to add the h.d from my old Compaq so that the new h.d becomes the slave.Three questions.1. Do I set up the new machine before or after installing the old disk ? Both machines running M.S XP (home).
2. My old machine is running Norton anti virus and spysweeper with an update service, as I am ditching the old can I just transfer to the new ?
3. Any other traps to watch out for ?

rawprawn 14:47 11 Jun 2004

Transfering a Hard Drive, I don't understand why you want to make the new HD the slave.

rawprawn 14:52 11 Jun 2004

click here sorry about the first link I am not on my own computer and this one seems very odd.

rewired 15:00 11 Jun 2004

Rawprawn .Because its clean and twice the size, so I can store a multitude of photos ,video clips and music.Just use the old for everyday stuff. However open to constructive suggestions, fire away.

rawprawn 15:07 11 Jun 2004

I personally would set up the new machine completely, then put in the old HD and copy anything needed to to the new one and format the old one. You will then have a clean slave. But I suppose it depends how big the old HD is and how much space is needed by your Videos etc.
There may be others with a different point of view.

woodchip 15:09 11 Jun 2004

Just alter the jumper on the old drive to slave and fit it then boot you may have to open disc manager to get to see the drive in windows then transfer you files

rewired 15:29 11 Jun 2004

rawprawn and woodchip, thanks for your responses. I guess at 40 gig the old is accepetable just thought it worth a try.
Cheers.

keith-236785 15:33 11 Jun 2004

rewired.

dont forget that if you open the computer to do this then you might be breaking the terms of your warranty agreement. check b4 doing it and then decide if you want to continue.

rawprawn 17:38 11 Jun 2004

If you are happy a tick as resolved might be applicable?

rewired 20:45 11 Jun 2004

rawprawn, thanks but I just thought I would await any further ideas.If thats o.k ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?