Old Hardrive

Binary Ghost (the only Paul) 22:02 19 Dec 2006

A chip burnt out on my old laptops motherboard, leaving me unable to even turn it on, which means all my files/work are on the hardrive and I am unable to get them.

I have a new dell laptop and thought I might be able to put my old hard hard drive into the latop.

I did this...and it all started up ok..untill I got a message saying I needed to regester my xp. I dont want to do this as I think it may muck up the comp and I would hve to reregester the xp version again, on the "new hardrive". Is there anyway around this so I can just get the files off my old hardrive?

Diodorus Siculus 22:06 19 Dec 2006

Get a 2 and a half inch caddy and you can connect it via usb to the new laptop, take the data off it and use it as a backup medium.

Diodorus Siculus 22:07 19 Dec 2006

click here for an example

Binary Ghost (the only Paul) 22:08 19 Dec 2006

Could i get one of them from pc world etc? And how much would it set me back?

Binary Ghost (the only Paul) 22:10 19 Dec 2006

thanx everyone!..wrote my last thread as u were righting yours. Patto..I did ring them but kept gettimg cut off. Diodorus siculus..thanx again...your a star

Diodorus Siculus 22:10 19 Dec 2006

Not sure about PCW but certainly maplin will have them; getting one online will be the cheapest I expect.

Strawballs 22:10 19 Dec 2006

I'm with Diodorus Siculus on this one get a caddy put the old drive in it, put the new lappy's drive back in and you should be able to transfer the info you want to the new one then format the old one to use as extra storeage or a place for regular backups

Strawballs 22:11 19 Dec 2006

Must learn to type faster!!!!!

Binary Ghost (the only Paul) 22:15 19 Dec 2006

lol..Its taking me most the time to spell ur name Diodorus Siculus!

Diodorus Siculus 22:19 19 Dec 2006

Call me DS or Dio :-)

Or copy and paste!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?