Old Hard Drive has Virus If Slaved any danger to C

Shikaree 19:34 04 Jun 2009

Hi Falks,

I have an old Hard Drive which is infected with Virus. If I Slave this drive will the viruses be transferred to my C Drive - Primary. I wish to clean this drive.

Please advise

Thanks

Shikaree

Graham. 00:14 05 Jun 2009

Sorry you have had no response yet. My opinion is that installed as slave and formatted, I don't see any risk from a virus.

phono 00:26 05 Jun 2009

Provided you have updated antivirus software running on you system I would suggest, as has Graham, that there should be little risk if you are simply going to format the drive.

If you wish to retain files on the drive then I would recommend that you carry out a comprehensive virus scan of the drive first, I would also suggest that as a precaution you also carry out an online virus scan from one of the better AV vendors websites.

Shikaree 14:36 05 Jun 2009

Graham, phono,

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely scan it. I wish to keep some files from it.

DieSse 00:12 06 Jun 2009

I often fix seriously infected drives by slaving them onto a working system (with a good AV already on it) and then scanning them.

It's perfectly safe as long as you can have faith in how good you AV software is - and don't try and look at, or do anything with the stuff on the infected drive until you scan it - which you should do as the very first thing when you power the system up again.

phono 00:19 06 Jun 2009

"It's perfectly safe as long as you can have faith in how good you AV software is - and don't try and look at, or do anything with the stuff on the infected drive until you scan it - which you should do as the very first thing when you power the system up again."

Sound advice and better put than my reply.

Shikaree 15:46 06 Jun 2009

DieSse,

Thanks for the advice. The only AV I have is Virgin Media. I have my Broadband from them.

DieSse 16:22 06 Jun 2009

I recommend you to do an on-line free scan with eset then.

click here

and also download and free scan with Malwarebytes click here

Shikaree 18:35 06 Jun 2009

Hi DieSse,

Thanks once again. Yes, I will do the scan tomorrow when I connect my other hard drive as Slave and scan it with both esat and Malwarebytes and I shall do the same with my Primary

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires